Re: Recommended Initial Settings

Campbell, Lance wrote:
I would like to get someone's recommendations on the best initial
settings for a dedicated PostgreSQL server.  I do realize that there are
a lot of factors that influence how one should configure a database.  I
am just looking for a good starting point.  Ideally I would like the
database to reside as much as possible in memory with no disk access.
The current database size of my 7.x version of PostgreSQL generates a 6
Gig file when doing a database dump.

Your operating-system should be doing the caching for you.

Dedicated PostgreSQL 8.2 Server
Redhat Linux 4.x AS 64 bit version (EM64T)
4 Intel Xeon Processors

If these are older Xeons, check the mailing list archives for "xeon context switch".

20 Gig Memory
Current PostgreSQL database is 6 Gig file when doing a database dump

OK, so it's plausible the whole thing will fit in RAM (as a rule-of-thumb I assume headers, indexes etc. triple or quadruple the size). To know better, check the actual disk-usage of $PGDATA.

/etc/sysctl.conf  file settings:

# 11 Gig

kernel.shmmax = 11811160064

Hmm - that's a lot of shared RAM. See shared_buffers below.

kernel.sem = 250 32000 100 128

net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 65000

net.core.rmem_default = 262144 net.core.rmem_max = 262144
net.core.wmem_default = 262144

net.core.wmem_max = 262144

postgresql.conf file settings (if not listed then I used the defaults):

max_connections = 300

How many connections do you expect typically/peak? It doesn't cost much to have max_connections set high but your workload is the most important thing missing from your question.

shared_buffers = 10240MB

For 7.x that's probably way too big, but 8.x organises its buffers better. I'd still be tempted to start a 1 or 2GB and work up - see where it stops buying you an improvement.

work_mem = 10MB

If you have large queries, doing big sorts I'd increase this. Don't forget it's per-sort, so if you have got about 300 connections live at any one time that could be 300*10MB*N if they're all doing something complicated. If you only have one connection live, you can increase this quite substantially.

effective_cache_size = 512MB

This isn't setting PG's memory usage, it's telling PG how much data your operating-system is caching. Check "free" and see what it says. For you, I'd expect 10GB+.

maintenance_work_mem = 100MB

This is for admin-related tasks, so you could probably increase it.

Workload workload workload - we need to know what you're doing with it. Once connection summarising the entire database will want larger numbers than 100 connections running many small queries.

HTH
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd