Re: cube operations slower than geo_distance() on production server

On 2/10/07, Mark Stosberg <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

With the help of some of this list, I was able to successfully  set up
and benchmark a cube-based replacement for geo_distance() calculations.

On a development box, the cube-based variations benchmarked consistently
running in about 1/3 of the time of the gel_distance() equivalents.

After setting up the same columns and indexes on a production
database, it's a different story. All the cube operations show
themselves to be about the same as, or noticeably slower than, the same
operations done with geo_distance().

I've stared at the EXPLAIN ANALYZE output as much I can to figure what's
gone. Could you help?

Here's the plan on the production server, which seems too slow. Below is the plan I get in
on the development server, which is much faster.

I tried "set enable_nestloop = off", which did change the plan, but the performance.

The production DB has much more data in it, but I still expected comparable results relative
to using geo_distance() calculations.

any objection to posting the query (any maybe tables, keys, indexes, etc)?

merlin