Re: int4 vs varchar to store ip addr

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Florian Weimer wrote:

* Pomarede Nicolas:

I could use PG internal inet/cidr type to store the ip addrs, which
would take 12 bytes per IP, thus gaining a few bytes per row.

I thought it's down to 8 bytes in PostgreSQL 8.2, but I could be
mistaken.

Apart from gaining some bytes, would the btree index scan be faster
with this data type compared to plain varchar ?

It will be faster because less I/O is involved.

For purposes like yours, there is a special ip4 type in a contributed
package which brings down the byte count to 4.  I'm not sure if it's
been ported to PostgreSQL 8.2 yet.

Yes thanks for this reference, ip4r package seems to be a nice addition to postgres for what I'd like to do. Does someone here have some real life experience with it (regarding performance and stability) ?

Also, is it possible that this package functionalities' might be merged into postgres one day, I think the benefit of using 4 bytes to store an ipv4 addr could be really interesting for some case ?

thanks,

Nicolas Pomarede                   e-mail:   npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?"