Re: int4 vs varchar to store ip addr

Nicolas wrote:

I have an authorization table that associates 1 customer IP to a service IP to determine a TTL (used by a radius server).

table auth
 client varchar(15);
 service varchar(15);
 ttl int4;
client and service are both ip addr.

The number of distinct clients can be rather large (say around 4 million) and the number of distinct service around 1000.

there's a double index on ( client , service ).

It comes to mind another solution... I don't know if it is better or worse,
but you could give it a try.
Store IP addresses as 4 distinct columns, like the following:

    CREATE TABLE auth (
        client_ip1 shortint,
        client_ip2 shortint,
        client_ip3 shortint,
        client_ip4 shortint,
        service    varchar(15),
        ttl        int4,
    );

And then index by client_ip4/3/2/1, then service.

    CREATE INDEX auth_i1 ON auth (client_ip4, client_ip3, client_ip2, client_ip1);

or:

    CREATE INDEX auth_i1 ON auth (client_ip4, client_ip3, client_ip2, client_ip1, service);

I'm curious to know from pg internals experts if this could be a
valid idea or is totally non-sense.

Probably the builtin ip4 type is better suited for these tasks?

--
Cosimo