Re: Postgres processes have a burst of CPU usage

Subramaniam Aiylam wrote:
  Now, there is one particular update that I make from
one of the client machines - this involves a
reasonably large object graph (from the Java point of
view). It deletes a bunch of rows (around 20 rows in
all) in 4-5 tables and inserts another bunch into the
same tables.

  When I do this, I see a big spike in the CPU usage
of postgres processes that are associated with ALL the
client machines, not just the one I executed the
delete/insert operation on. The spike seems to happen
a second or two AFTER the original update completes
and last for a few seconds.

So what are the other backends doing? They're not going to be using CPU cycles for nothing, they must be executing queries. Perhaps turn on statement logging, and track process IDs.

I can't think of any PostgreSQL caching that would be seriously affected by updating a few dozen rows. It might be that one of your java libraries is clearing its cache though, causing it to issue more queries.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd