Re: High update activity, PostgreSQL vs BigDBMS

Ron wrote:
C= What file system are you using? Unlike BigDBMS, pg does not have its own native one, so you have to choose the one that best suits your needs. For update heavy applications involving lots of small updates jfs and XFS should both be seriously considered.

Ron, thanks for your ideas. Many of them I've addressed in response to suggestions from others. I wanted to address this one in particular. Unfortunately, I do not have the liberty to change file systems on this old Sun box. All file systems are formatted Sun UFS. BigDBMS is equally subject to whatever pluses or minuses can be attributed to this file system, so I'm thinking that this issue would be a wash between the two.

I've come to the conclusion that configuration changes to PG alone will not equal the playing field. My next step is to try to determine where the biggest payback will be regarding changing the implementation.

--
Guy Rouillier