Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

Alexander Staubo wrote:

On Dec 15, 2006, at 17:53 , Ron wrote:

At 09:50 AM 12/15/2006, Greg Smith wrote:

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Merlin Moncure wrote:

The slower is probably due to the unroll loops switch which can actually hurt code due to the larger footprint (less cache coherency).

The cache issues are so important with current processors that I'd suggest throwing -Os (optimize for size) into the mix people test.

So far I have been compiling PostgreSQL and running my pgbench script manually, but this makes me want to modify my script to run pgbench automatically using all possible permutations of a set of compiler flags.

I don't know if it's practical, but this link comes to mind:

http://clusty.com/search?query=acovea

--
Cosimo