Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 01:03:04PM -0500, Ron wrote:
What I find interesting is that so far Guido's C2D Mac laptop has gotten the highest values by far in this set of experiments, and no one else is even close. The slowest results, Michael's, are on the system with what appears to be the slowest CPU of the bunch; and the ranking of the rest of the results seem to similarly depend on relative CPU performance. This is not what one would naively expect when benching a IO intensive app like a DBMS.

Note that I ran with fsync off, that the data set is <300M, and that all of the systems (IIRC) have at least 1G RAM. This is exactly the distribution I would expect since we're configuring the benchmark to determine whether cpu-specific optimizations affect the results.

Mike Stone