Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations

You are right Christopher.

Okay. Let's solve this matter.

What PostgreSQL benchmark software should I use???

I'll test PostgreSQL 8.1 on a Fedora Core 6 and on a Gentoo. I'll get
the same version FC6 uses and install it at my Gentoo. I'll use the
same hardware (diferent partitions to each).

I'm not saying that Gentoo is faster than FC6. I just want to prove
that if you compile your software to make better use of your
processor, it will run faster.

It might take a few days because I'm pretty busy right now at my job.

Best regards,
Daniel

On 12/11/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Oops! daniel.colchete@xxxxxxxxx ("Daniel van Ham Colchete") was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> But, trust me on this one. It's worth it.

No, the point of performance analysis is that you *can't* trust the
people that say "trust me on this one."

If you haven't got a benchmark where you can demonstrate a material
and repeatable difference, then you're just some Gentoo "speed racer"
making things up.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/wp.html