Re: single transaction vs multiple transactions

Sven Geisler wrote:
I have to insert my arguments to a temporary table first, because the
arguments are only known in the application tier.
Is a multiple insert to a temporary table and a final 'DELETE FROM x
WHERE y IN (SELECT z FROM tmp)' faster than multiple deletes?

If the number of records is high, it most likely is faster. You should try it with your data to be sure, but in general doing all the deletes in one batch is faster when the number of records is high because it allows using efficient merge joins or sequential scans.

Populating the temporary table with no indexes should be quite inexpensive if you make sure you don't do it one record at a time. Use the COPY command or batched inserts instead.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas