Re: Bad iostat numbers

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 12:37:29PM -0500, Alex Turner wrote:
This discussion I think is important, as I think it would be useful for this
list to have a list of RAID cards that _do_ work well under Linux/BSD for
people as recommended hardware for Postgresql.   So far, all I can recommend
is what I've found to be good, which is 3ware 9500 series cards with 10k
SATA drives.  Throughput was great until you reached higher levels of RAID
10 (the bonnie++ mark I posted showed write speed is a bit slow).  But that
doesn't solve the problem for SCSI.  What cards in the SCSI arena solve the
problem optimally?  Why should we settle for sub-optimal performance in SCSI
when there are a number of almost optimally performing cards in the SATA
world (Areca, 3Ware/AMCC, LSI).

Well, one factor is to be more precise about what you're looking for; a HBA != RAID controller, and you may be comparing apples and oranges. (If you have an external array with an onboard controller you probably want a simple HBA rather than a RAID controller.)

Mike Stone