Re: RES: Priority to a mission critical transaction

Brian Hurt wrote:
> Ron Mayer wrote:
>> Brian Hurt wrote:
>
> That second paper is interesting in that it says that STM solves the
> priority inversion problem.  Basically the higher priority process
> forces the lower priority process to abort it's transaction and retry it.
>
> Is it possible to recast Postgres' use of locks to use STM instead?

If I read the CMU paper right (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bianca/icde04.pdf),
that's equivalent to what they call "preemptive abort scheduling"
and tested as well as priority inversion.

They did test this and compared it to priority inversion with
postgresql and found them about equivalent.

  "Preemptive scheduling (P-LQ and P-CPU) attempts to eliminate the
  wait excess for high-priority transactions by preempting low-priority
  lock holders in the way of high-priority transactions.  We find that
  preemptive policies provide little benefit
  TPC-C running on PostgreSQL ... Preemption (P-CPU) provides
  no appreciable benefit over CPU-Prio-Inherit."