Direct I/O issues

I've been trying to optimize a Linux system where benchmarking suggests large performance differences between the various wal_sync_method options (with o_sync being the big winner). I started that by using src/tools/fsync/test_fsync to get an idea what I was dealing with (and to spot which drives had write caching turned on). Since those results didn't match what I was seeing in the benchmarks, I've been browsing the backend source to figure out why. I noticed test_fsync appears to be, ahem, out of sync with what the engine is doing.

It looks like V8.1 introduced O_DIRECT writes to the WAL, determined at compile time by a series of preprocessor tests in src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c When O_DIRECT is available, O_SYNC/O_FSYNC/O_DSYNC writes use it. test_fsync doesn't do that.

I moved the new code (in 8.2 beta 3, lines 61-92 in xlog.c) into test_fsync; all the flags had the same name so it dropped right in. You can get the version I made at http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/test_fsync.c (fixed a compiler warning, too)

The results I get now look fishy. I'm not sure if I screwed up a step, or if I'm seeing a real problem. The system here is running RedHat Linux, RHEL ES 4.0 kernel 2.6.9, and the disk I'm writing to is a standard 7200RPM IDE drive. I turned off write caching with hdparm -W 0

Here's an excerpt from the stock test_fsync:

Compare one o_sync write to two:
        one 16k o_sync write     8.717944
        two 8k o_sync writes    17.501980

Compare file sync methods with 2 8k writes:
        (o_dsync unavailable)
        open o_sync, write      17.018495
        write, fdatasync         8.842473
        write, fsync,            8.809117

And here's the version I tried to modify to include O_DIRECT support:

Compare one o_sync write to two:
        one 16k o_sync write     0.004995
        two 8k o_sync writes     0.003027

Compare file sync methods with 2 8k writes:
        (o_dsync unavailable)
        open o_sync, write       0.004978
        write, fdatasync         8.845498
        write, fsync,            8.834037

Obivously the o_sync writes aren't waiting for the disk. Is this a problem with O_DIRECT under Linux? Or is my code just not correctly testing this behavior?

Just as a sanity check, I did try this on another system, running SuSE with drives connected to a cciss SCSI device, and I got exactly the same results. I'm concerned that Linux users who use O_SYNC because they notice it's faster will be losing their WAL integrity without being aware of the problem, especially as the whole O_DIRECT business isn't even mentioned in the WAL documentation--it really deserves to be brought up in the wal_sync_method notes at http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/runtime-config-wal.html

And while I'm mentioning improvements to that particular documentation page...the wal_buffers notes there are so sparse they misled me initially. They suggest only bumping it up for situations with very large transactions; since I was testing with small ones I left it woefully undersized initially. I would suggest copying the text from http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/wal-configuration.html to here: "When full_page_writes is set and the system is very busy, setting this value higher will help smooth response times during the period immediately following each checkpoint." That seems to match what I found in testing.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD