Re: Optimicing Postgres for SunSolaris10 on V240

Berner,

First, I've corrected you e-mail so that it goes to the list, and not to me directly.

I use my PostgreSQL 8.0.4 as Catalogue-Database for Bacula.
Bacula is a Backupsoftware.

Yes. The lead contributor to Bacula is a active PostgreSQL project participant; I'll see if he'll look into your issue.

When I backing up System (lot of very small Files) then PostgreSQL seams to by the bottleneck by inserting Catalogueinformation of every single File.
The System on which Postgres runs is a Sun Solaris 10 Server on a Sun Fire V240 with 1GB RAM, 1CPU (SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIIi at 1.3GHz), 2 Ultra SCSI-3 Disks 73GB at 10k RPM which are in Raid1 (Solaris Softraid).

Can someone gif me a hint for compiling PostgreSQL or configuring the Database.

fsync is already disabled..

This is a bad idea if you care about your database.

So, PostgreSQL 8.1 is now official supported by Sun and ships with Solaris 10 update 2 or later. It is recommended that you use that rather and an out-of-date version. Second, see www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList

--Josh Berkus