Re: Easy read-heavy benchmark kicking around?

Brian Hurt wrote:
I'm having a spot of problem with out storage device vendor. Read performance (as measured by both bonnie++ and hdparm -t) is abysmal (~14Mbyte/sec), and we're trying to get them to fix it. Unfortunately, they're using the fact that bonnie++ is an open source benchmark to weasle out of doing anything- they can't fix it unless I can show an impact in Postgresql.

So the question is: is there an easy to install and run, read-heavy benchmark out there that I can wave at them to get them to fix the problem? I have a second database running on a single SATA drive, so I can use that as a comparison point- "look, we're getting 1/3rd the read speed of a single SATA drive- this sucks!"

You could use the lineitem table from the TPC-H dataset (http://www.tpc.org/tpch/default.asp).

Generate the dataset for a scale factor that makes lineitem about 2x your ram, load the table and do:

SELECT count(*) FROM lineitem

vmstat or iostat while this is happening should display your meager throughput well enough to get your vendors attention (I'm checking this on a fairly old 4 disk system of mine as I type this - I'm seeing about 90Mb/s...)

best wishes

Mark