Re: big transaction slows down over time - but disk seems

Ben wrote:
I've got a long-running, update-heavy transaction that increasingly slows down the longer it runs. I would expect that behavior, if there was some temp file creation going on. But monitoring vmstat over the life of the transaction shows virtually zero disk activity. Instead, the system has its CPU pegged the whole time.

So.... why the slowdown? Is it a MVCC thing? A side effect of calling stored proceedures a couple hundred thousand times in a single transaction? Or am I just doing something wrong?

My guess is that the updates are creating a lot of old row versions, and a command within the transaction is doing a seq scan that has to scan through all of them. Or something like that. It's hard to tell without more details.

Calling stored procedures repeatedly shouldn't cause a slowdown over time.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas