VACUUMs take twice as long across all nodes

Hullo, here's one of those dreadful touchy-feely hand-waving problems.
Our 5-node 8.1.3 Slony system has just started taking /much/ longer to
VACUUM ANALYZE..

The data set has not increased more than usual (nightly backups stand
at 1.3GB, growing by 10MB per day), and no configuration has changed on
the machines.

Nodes 2 and 3 take only the tables necessary to run our search (10 out
of the full 130) and are much lighter (only 7GB on disk cf. 30GB for
the full master) , yet the nightly VACUUM FULL has jumped from 2 hours
to 4 in the space of one day!

Like I say, no config changes, no reboots / postmaster restarts, no extra processes, and every machine has a comfortable overhead of free page slots + relations.