Re: Best COPY Performance

On 10/25/06, Worky Workerson <worky.workerson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm guessing the high bursts are checkpoints.  Can you check your log
> files for pg and see if you are getting warnings about checkpoint
> frequency?   You can get some mileage here by increasing wal files.

Nope, nothing in the log.  I have set:
 wal_buffers=128
 checkpoint_segments=128
 checkpoint_timeout=3000
which I thought was rather generous.  Perhaps I should set it even
higher for the loads?

> Have you determined that pg is not swapping?  try upping maintenance_work_mem.

maintenance_work_mem = 524288 ... should I increase it even more?
Doesn't look like pg is swapping ...

nah, you already addressed it.  either pg is swapping or it isnt, and
i'm guessing it isn't.

I'm currently running bonnie++ with the defaults ... should I change
the execution to better mimic Postgres' behavior?

just post what you have...

RHEL 4.3 x86_64
HP DL585, 4 Dual Core Opteron 885s
  16 GB RAM
  2x300GB 10K SCSI320, RAID10
HP MSA1000 SAN direct connected via single 2GB Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop
  10x300GB 10K SCSI320, RAID10

in theory, with 10 10k disks in raid 10, you should be able to keep
your 2fc link saturated all the time unless your i/o is extremely
random.  random i/o is the wild card here, ideally you should see at
least 2000 seeks in bonnie...lets see what comes up.

hopefully, bonnie will report close to 200 mb/sec.  in extreme
sequential cases, the 2fc link should be a bottleneck if the raid
controller is doing its job.

if you are having cpu issues, try breaking your process down to at
least 4 processes (you have quad dual core box after all)...thats a no
brainer.

merlin