Re: New hardware thoughts

On Oct 20, 2006, at 10:58 AM, Dave Cramer wrote:

My advice is to find another supplier. check the archives for Dell.

Not necessarily bad to go with Dell. There are *some* of their controllers that are wicked fast in some configurations. However, finding which ones are fast is very tricky unless you buy + return the box you want to test :-)

Basically you have no idea what the Perc controller is since it is whatever Dell decides to ship that day.

FUD!!!

They don't randomly change the controllers under the same name. If you order a PERC4e/Si controller you will get the same controller every time. This particular controller (found in their PE1850) is incredibly fast, sustaining over 80Mb/sec writes to a mirror. I measured that during a DB mirror using slony.