Re: ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock

Scott Marlowe wrote:
What if, a minute or two after the drop contraint, you issue a rollback?
After the DROP CONSTRAINT I insert 4 million rekords into the TABLE b. After the inserts I remake the dropped constraints, and commit the transaction (P1). This solution is faster then the conventional method without the constraint's trick. In my work the table A is a dictionary table (key-value pairs) with 100-200 records, and the TABLE b has 20 columns with 10 references to TABLE a. So my experience is that I have to drop constraints before the 4 million inserts and remake those after it.

If there is an error in my transaction (P1) and I have to rollback, there isn't problem, because my inserts lost from TABLE b and the dropped constraints may be rolled back. In my opinion there isn't exclusion between a dropped constraint (reference from b to a) and a select on TABLE a. If I think well the dropped constraint have to seem in other transation (for example: P2). And it doesn't have to seem in my transaction, because it has already dropped.

Thanks your suggestions!
Regards,
Antal Attila