Re: Jdbc/postgres performance

On 10/18/06, Bucky Jordan <bjordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/17/06, Rohit_Behl <Rohit_Behl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Select events.event_id, ctrl.real_name, events.tsds, events.value,
> events.lds, events.correction, ctrl.type, ctrl.freq from table events,
> iso_midw_control ctrl where events.obj_id = ctrl.obj_id and
> events.event_id > ?::bigint order by events.event_id limit ?

After a quick search on the JDBC list, it looks like there's some recent
discussion on the subject of how to give the planner better insight for
prepared statements (the subject is "Blind Message" if you're
looking...).

So, I'm off to go read there and perhaps join the jdbc mailing list too.

this is not really a jdbc issue, just a practical problem with
prepared statements...except for the mechanism if any the jdbc driver
allows you to choose if a statement is prepared.

But, a more general postgres question. I assume if I want to turn
prepared statements off altogether (say I'm using a jdbc abstraction

you turn off prepared statements by not invoking sql prepare or
PQprepare.  (or, if jdbc implements its own protocol client, it's
version of PQprepare).

layer that likes parameterized statements, and there's other benefits to
parameterizing other than just saving on db parse/plan) can I set
max_prepared_transactions to 0? Is there any other option outside of

this setting is for 2pc and is not relevent to the discussion :)  even
if it were, im not so sure about a setting designed to enforce a
partcular method of querying.

yes, you are correct this is not exactly the use case for hints being
discussed in -hackers. however, imho, this is much more important and
relevant so long as prepared statements continue to work the way they
do.

merlin