Regarding Bitmap Scan

Hello,

I was going through the Performance Enhancements of 8.1.0, in that I have read "Bitmap Scan"

"Bitmap Scan: indexes will be dynamically converted to bitmaps in memory when appropriate, giving up to twenty times faster index performance on complex queries against very large tables. This also helps simplify database management by greatly reducing the need for multi-column indexes."

I didn't understand the "Bitmap Scan" and the sentence "indexes will be dynamically converted to bitmaps in memory". What does mean by "Bitmap Scan" in database?

Can anybody help us regarding above query?

Thanks,

Soni