Re: Hints proposal

Craig A. James wrote:

2. Hints
  a) On a aesthetic/theoretical level, hints suck.  They're ugly and rude
b) On a practical level, introducing hints will cause short- and long-term problems c) Hints would help DBAs solve urgent problems for which there is no other solution

Pretty good summary!

Maybe there should be a 2d), 2e) and 2f).

2d) Hints will damage the ongoing development of the optimizer by reducing or eliminating test cases for its improvement. 2e) Hints will divert developer resource away from ongoing development of the optimizer. 2f) Hints may demoralize the developer community - many of whom will have been attracted to Postgres precisely because this was a realm where crude solutions were discouraged.

I understand that these points may seem a bit 'feel-good' and intangible - especially for the DBA's moving to Pg from Oracle, but I think they illustrate the mindset of the Postgres developer community, and the developer community is, after all - the primary reason why Pg is such a good product.

Of course - if we can find a way to define 'hint like' functionality that is more in keeping with the 'Postgres way' (e.g. some of the relation level statistical additions as discussed), then some of 2d-2f) need not apply.

Best wishes

Mark