Re: Unsubscribe

On Oct 4, 2006, at 10:54 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
[Joshua]
It is ridiculous that this community expects people to read email
headers to figure out how to unsubscribe from our lists.

I always check the headers when I want to unsubscribe from any mailing list, and I think most people on this list have above average knowledge
of such technical details.  Of course, on a list with this many
recepients there will always be some exceptions ...

I would consider myself above average knowledge of such technical
details and I didn't know the list information was in the headers until
recently (the last time all of this came up).

Now, I of course did know that there were headers, and I can use them to diagnose problems but I was unaware of an RFC that explicitly stated how
the headers were supposed to be sent for mailing lists.

However, that is besides the point. It is still ridiculous to expect
anyone to read the headers just to unsubscribe from a list.

If we didn't want to add it for each list we could just add a link here:

http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe

An even better option would be to switch to a list manager that actively traps these emails, such as mailman.
--
Jim Nasby                                            jim@xxxxxxxxx