Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies

Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
We urgently need a major performance improvement. We are running the
PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on a Windows 2003 x64 Server on a dual processor, dual core 3.2Ghz Xeon box with 4gb RAM and a RAID (sorry, I don't know what type) disc
subsystem. Sorry about the long intro, but here are my questions:

Others have already drilled down to the way you do the inserts and statistics etc., so I'll just point out:

Are you fully utilizing all the 4 cores you have? Could you parallelize the loading process, if you're currently running just one client? Are you I/O bound or CPU bound?

--
Heikki Linnakangas