Re: Opteron vs. Xeon "benchmark"

On 23-Sep-06, at 9:00 AM, Guido Neitzer wrote:

I find the benchmark much more interesting in comparing PostgreSQL to
MySQL than Intel to AMD. It might be as biased as other "benchmarks"
but it shows clearly something that a lot of PostgreSQL user always
thought: MySQL gives up on concurrency ... it just doesn't scale well.

cug

Before you get too carried away with this benchmark, you should review the previous comments on this thread.
Not that I don't agree, but lets put things in perspective.

1) The database fits entirely in memory, so this is really only testing CPU, not I/O which should be taken into account IMO
2) The machines were not "equal" The AMD boxes did not have as much ram.

DAVE