Re: Performance With Joins on Large Tables

Are the tables perhaps nearly in order by the dsiacctno fields?
If that were the case, and the planner were missing it for some reason,
these results would be plausible.

BTW, what are you using for work_mem, and how does that compare to your
available RAM?

                       regards, tom lane

My assumption would be they are in exact order.  The text file I used
in the COPY statement had them in order, so if COPY preserves that in
the database, then it is in order.

The system has 8GB of ram and work_mem is set to 256MB.

I'll see if I can't make time to run the sort-seqscan method so we can
have an exact time to work with.