Re: Query Progress (was: Performance With Joins on Large Tables)

On 9/13/06, Bucky Jordan <bjordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Setting to 0.1 finally gave me the result I was looking for. I know
that the index scan is faster though.  The seq scan never finished (i
killed it after 24+ hours) and I'm running the query now with indexes
and it's progressing nicely (will probably take 4 hours).

In regards to "progressing nicely (will probably take 4 hours)" - is
this just an estimate or is there some way to get progress status (or
something similar- e.g. on step 6 of 20 planned steps) on a query in pg?
I looked through Chap 24, Monitoring DB Activity, but most of that looks
like aggregate stats. Trying to relate these to a particular query
doesn't really seem feasible.

This would be useful in the case where you have a couple of long running
transactions or stored procedures doing analysis and you'd like to give
the user some feedback where you're at.

Thanks,

Bucky

I do it programmatically, not through postgresql.  I'm using a cursor,
so I can keep track of how many records I've handled.  I'm not aware
of a way to do this in Postgresql.