Reg - Autovacuum

Hi All
I have installed a application with postgres-8.1.4 , I have to optimize the performance, As a measure i thought of enabling Auto commit , is it a right decision to take , If correct please suggest the steps that i need to follow in order to implement the Auto Vacuum.

And also please suggest other steps that i need to improve the performance .

Thanks and Regards
Kris