Re: how to partition disks

hubert depesz lubaczewski writes:

On 6/14/06, Sven Geisler raid 10 is of course not questionable. but are you sure that it will work faster than for example:
2 discs (raid 1) for xlog
6 discs (raid 10) for tables
6 discs (raid 10) for indices?

Caching up on the performance list.
Although this may not help the original poster.. wanted to share a recent experience related to allocation of disks on a raid.

We just got a server with 16 disks.
We condfigured 12 to 1 raid controller and a second raid with 4. Both using raid 10.

RAID 1
10 x 7,200rpm disks
2 hot spares

RAID 2
4 x 10,000 rpm disk

One of the things I always do with new machines is to run bonnie++ and get some numbers.

I expected the second raid to have better numbers than the first because the disks were 10K drives (all SATA). To my surprise the larger raid had better numbers.

So I figure the number of spindles on a single RAID does make a big difference. To that regard splitting 16 disks into 3 sets may help with data needing to be read/written to be in separate raids, but may degrade performance by reducing the number of spindles on each of the raids.