Re: increasing shared buffers: how much should be removed

I think 'shared buffers' is one of the most overrated settings from a
performance standpoint.  however you must ensure there is enough for
things the server does besides caching.  It used to be a bigger deal
than it is in modern versionf of postgresql modern operating systems.

Previous to 8.1 I would agree with you, but as of 8.1 it is probably the most underrated.

Joshua D. Drake

merlin

So if shared buffers is the most overrated, what do you consider the proper way of tuning ?
      match

             http://www.commandprompt.com/