Re: Postgre SQL 7.1 cygwin performance issue.

On 8/28/06, Ravindran G - TLS, Chennai. <ravindran_g@xxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks Alvaro.

We are using PostgreSQL 7.1 cygwin installed on Windows 2000.

We understand that the maximum connections that can be set is 64 in
Postgresql 7.1 version.

But our application is installed in 8 / 10 PC or more than that and it opens
multiple connections and it exceeds 64.

Because of this the subsequent connections are failed to connect with DB
from application.

Please advise us on how to resolve this ?.

I don't think you have any answer other than to migrate to a
better-supportable version of PostgreSQL.

The last release of 7.1 was in August 2001; you're using a version
that is now over five years old, with known "it'll eat your data"
problems.  That is why there have been some fifty-odd subsequent
releases.

The right answer is to arrange for an upgrade to a much less antiquated version.

You're going to be pretty well restricted to the 64 connections until
you upgrade to a more recent version.

There is an alternative:  You could migrate to some Unix-like platform
(such as Linux or FreeBSD) where version 7.1.3 could in fact support
more than 64 connections.
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.