Re: Related to Inserting into the database from XML file

> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 21:23 +0530, soni de wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to ask, Is there any way to insert records from XML
> > file to the postgres database?
>
> Try the contrib/xml2 module.

Alas, that module will not help you much with the insertion of records.
It is more about querying XML that is stored within the database.

A basic question is whether you want to store XML in the DB or you just
have data that is in XML now and you want it loaded into a table
structure. The xml2 module will only be useful in the first case.

In either case the approach is to transform the data into a form that
PGSQL's COPY understands or into a bunch of INSERT statements (much less
performant). To that end you probably want to become familiar with XSLT
unless the data is so simple that a processing with regular tools (perl,
sed, awk) will suffice.

George