Re: PostgreSQL runs a query much slower than BDE and MySQL

I have no idea if there's a standard name or what it may be, but for what it's worth, this sounds similar to the optimizations I wanted for a different query:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2005-11/msg00037.php

1. Recognize that a term constant across the whole sort is irrelevant. (In my earlier case, a constant number, but here MAX (xxx), which seems harder.) 2. Put together two sequences already in the appropriate order, without resorting. (In my case, a union; here a join.)

though I no longer need them for that problem. I'm quite happy with the client-side solution we came up with.

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>