Re: Beginner optimization questions, esp. regarding

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:47:54 -0600
"Carl Youngblood" <carl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I tried setting it to 2GB and postgres wouldn't start.  Didn't
> investigate in much greater detail as to why it wouldn't start, but
> after switching it back to 1GB it started fine.
>
> On 8/15/06, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > See the recent thread about how old rules of thumb for
> > shared_buffers are now completely bunk. With 4G of memory, setting
> > shared_buffers to 2G could easily be reasonable. The OP really
> > needs to test several different values with their actual workload
> > and see what works best.

   Sounds like you need to increase your kernel's maximum amount
   of shared memory.  This is typically why an increase in
   shared_buffers causes PostgreSQL not to start.

   Check out this page in the docs for more information:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/kernel-resources.html

   Frank Wiles <frank@xxxxxxxxx>
   http://www.wiles.org