Re: setting up foreign keys

Spiegelberg, Greg wrote:
Sort of on topic, how many foreign keys in a single table is good v.
bad?  I realize it's relative to the tables the FK's reference so here's
an example:

Table A: 300 rows
Table B: 15,000,000 rows
Table C: 100,000 rows
Table E: 38 rows
Table F: 9 rows
Table G: is partitioned on the FK from Table A and has a FK column for
each of the above tables

I'm in the process of normalizing the database and have a schema like
this in mind.  Works wonderfully for SELECT's but haven't gotten the
data import process down just yet so I haven't had a chance to put it
through it's paces.  Depending on the performance of INSERT, UPDATE, and
COPY I may drop the FK constraints since my app could enforce the FK
checks.

As long as both sides of the FK's are indexed I don't think you'll have a problem with a particular number of FK's per table.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/