Re: Slow access to PostgreSQL server

On 8/10/06, Phil Cairns <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I have an application that uses PostgreSQL to store its data. The
application and an instance of the database have been installed in three
different locations, and none of these three locations have anything to
do with any of the others. I'm observing a problem in that large
transfers to some machines on the network (specifically while running
pg_dump) are dead slow. In fact, the information is going from the
server to the client machine at dialup speeds over a 100 Mb LAN to some
machines, and full speed to others.

there have been numerous problems reported on windows due to various
applications, especially malware and virus scanners, that cause this
problem.  be especially cautious about anything that runs in kernel
mode or runs as a LSP.

merlin