Re: 7.3.2 pg_restore very slow

Saranya Sivakumar wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to back up a full copy of one of our databases (14G) and
restore it on another server. Both databases run 7.3.2 version.
Though the restore completed successfully, it took 9 hours for the
process to complete. The destination server runs Fedora Core 3 with
512 MB RAM and has 1 processor.  I have also deferred referential
intergrity checks during the restore. I tried to tune some parameters
in the config file, but it still takes 9 hours.

Firstly, you should upgrade to the most recent version of 7.3.x (7.3.15) - that's a *lot* of bug-fixes you are missing

Then, I would temporarily disable fsync and increase sort_mem and checkpoint_segments. What you're trying to do is make a single process run as fast as possible, so allow it to grab more resources than you normally would.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd