Re: Savepoint performance

On 7/27/06, Mark Lewis <mark.lewis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

I support a system that runs on several databases including PostgreSQL.
I've noticed that the other DB's always put an implicit savepoint before
each statement executed, and roll back to that savepoint if the
statement fails for some reason.  PG does not, so unless you manually
specify a savepoint you lose all previous work in the transaction.

you're talking about transactions not savepoints (savepoints is
something more like nested transactions), i guess...

postgres execute every single statement inside an implicit transaction
unless you put BEGIN/COMMIT between a block of statements... in that
case if an error occurs the entire block of statements must
ROLLBACK...

if other db's doesn't do that, is a bug in their implementation of the
SQL standard

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova