Re: Performance penalty for remote access of postgresql

Stephen Frost wrote:
* Guoping Zhang (guoping.zhang@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Obviously, if there is no better solution, the TCP round trip penalty will
stop us doing so as we do have performance requirement.

Actually, can't you stick multiple inserts into a given 'statement'?
ie: insert into abc (123); insert into abc (234);

I'm not 100% sure if that solves the round-trip issue, but it might..
Also, it looks like we might have multi-value insert support in 8.2 (I
truely hope so anyway), so you could do something like this:
insert into abc (123),(234);

Yeah, see my post from last night on PATCHES. Something like "insert into abc (123); insert into abc (234); ..." actually seems to work pretty well as long as you don't drive the machine into swapping. If you're doing a very large number of INSERTs, break it up into bite-sized chunks and you should be fine.

Joe