Regarding ALTER Command

Hello,

We have database on which continueous operations of INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE are going on, In the mean time irrespective of INSERT and UPDATE we want to ALTER some filelds from the table can we do that?

Would the ALTER command on heavily loaded database create any perfomance problem?

Is it feasible to do ALTER when lots of INSERT operations are going on?

Postgresql version we are using is -- PostgreSQL 7.2.4

Please provide me some help regarding this.

Thanks,

Soni