Re: INSERT OU UPDATE WITHOUT SELECT?

On Tue, 30 May 2006 17:54:00 -0500
"Dave Dutcher" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I do when I'm feeling lazy is execute a delete statement and then
> an insert.  I only do it when I'm inserting/updating a very small number
> of rows, so I've never worried if its optimal for performance.  Besides
> I've heard that an update in postgres is similar in performance to a
> delete/insert.

Well, they are basically the same operation in PostgreSQL.  An update
adds a row to the end and marks the old one dead.  A delete/insert
marks the row dead and adds one at the end.  There may be some
optimization if the engine does both in one operation.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@xxxxxxxxx>         |  Democracy is three wolves