Re: Postgres gets stuck

This is a deadly bug, because our web site goes dead when this happens, and it requires an administrator to log in and kill the stuck postgres process then restart Postgres. We've installed failover system so that the web site is diverted to a backup server, but since this has happened twice in one week, we're worried.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a deadlock issue.

Do you have query logging turned on?

Also, edit your postgresql.conf file and add (or uncomment):

stats_command_string = true

and restart postgresql.

then you'll be able to:

select * from pg_stat_activity;

to see what queries postgres is running and that might give you some clues.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/