Re: Killing long-running queries

On 5/2/06, Dan Harris <fbsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My database is used primarily in an OLAP-type environment.  Sometimes my
users get a little carried away and find some way to slip past the
sanity filters in the applications and end up bogging down the server
with queries that run for hours and hours.  And, of course, what users
tend to do is to keep queuing up more queries when they don't see the
first one return instantly :)

So, I have been searching for a way to kill an individual query.  I read
in the mailing list archives that you could 'kill' the pid.  I've tried
this a few times and more than once, it has caused the postmaster to
die(!), terminating every query that was in process, even unrelated to
that query.

Is there some way I can just kill a query and not risk breaking
everything else when I do it?

Thanks

Hi Dan,

You can kill a specific pid under 8.1 using SELECT
pg_cancel_backend(pid). You can kill a query from the command line by
doing $ kill -TERM pid or $kill -SIGINT pid.

There are several tips from this thread that may be useful about
killing long running SQL:
 http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-02/msg00298.php

In short, the recommendations are:
  1) Use statement_timeouts if at all possible. You can do this
database wide in postgresql.conf. You can also set this on a per user
or per SQL statement basis.
  2) Make step #1 does not kill autovacuum, or necessary automated
jobs. You can do this with "ALTER USER SET statement_timeout = 0".

I'm using a web page to show SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity output
from several servers.  This makes it easy to see the pids of any
long-running SQL.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-02/msg00427.php