Re: hardare config question

guess who just bought a 3ware BBU on ebay...

Thanks for all the posts, consider me educated!

(on the importance of BBU on RAID controllers, anyway)

:)

Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 13:22, Tom Arthurs wrote:
UPS does not protect against the tech behind the rack unplugging the power cable, or an accidental power cycle from exercising the wrong switch. :) Both are probably more common causes of failure than a total power outage.

Erik Myllymaki wrote:
I have been in discussion with 3ware support and after adjusting some settings, the 3ware card in RAID 1 gets better performance than the single drive. I guess this had everything to do with the write (and maybe read?) cache.

Of course now i am in a dangerous situation - using volatile write cache without a BBU.

If I were to use a UPS to ensure a soft shutdown in the event of power loss, am I somewhat as safe as if I were to purchase a BBU for this RAID card?

Nor does it prevent an electrician from dropping a tiny piece of wire
into a power conditioner, causing a feedback that blows the other two
power conditioners, all three industrial UPSes, and the switch that
allows the Diesal generator to take over.

When that happened to me, I had the only database server in the company
to come back up 100% in tact.  You can guess by now I also had the only
database server with battery backed cache...

       match