Re: Why so slow?

At 10:39 06/04/29, Tom Lane wrote:
K C Lau <kclau60@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Without knowing the internals, I have this simplistic idea: if Postgres
> maintains the current lowest transaction ID for all active transactions, it
> probably could recycle dead tuples on the fly.

[ yawn... ]  Yes, we've heard that before.  The hard part is getting rid
of index entries.

                        regards, tom lane

I apologize for simplistic ideas again. I presume that the equivalent tuple header information is not maintained for index entries. What if they are, probably only for the most commonly used index types to allow recycling where possible? The extra space required would be recycled too. It would probably also help save a trip to the tuple data pages to determine the validity of index entries during index scans.

Cheers,
KC.