Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs

Bill Moran wrote:
I've been given the task of making some hardware recommendations for
the next round of server purchases.  The machines to be purchased
will be running FreeBSD & PostgreSQL.

Where I'm stuck is in deciding whether we want to go with dual-core
pentiums with 2M cache, or with HT pentiums with 8M cache.

Dual Core Opterons :)

Joshua D. Drake

Both of these are expensive bits of hardware, and I'm trying to
gather as much evidence as possible before making a recommendation.
The FreeBSD community seems pretty divided over which is likely to
be better, and I have been unable to discover a method for estimating
how much of the 2M cache on our existing systems is being used.

Does anyone in the PostgreSQL community have any experience with
large caches or dual-core pentiums that could make any recommendations?
Our current Dell 2850 systems are CPU bound - i.e. they have enough
RAM, and fast enough disks that the CPUs seem to be the limiting
factor.  As a result, this decision on what kind of CPUs to get in
the next round of servers is pretty important.

Any advice is much appreciated.

                    http://www.commandprompt.com/