Re: Inserts optimization?

Hi, Francisco,

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> I only wonder what is safer.. using a second or two in commit_delay or
> using fsync = off.. Anyone cares to comment?

It might be that you misunderstood commit_delay. It will not only delay
the disk write, but also block your connnection until the write actually
is performed.

It will rise the throughput in multi-client scenarios, but will also
rise the latency, and it will absolutely bring no speedup in
single-client scenarios.

It does not decrease safety (in opposite to fsync=off), data will be
consistent, and any application that has successfully finished a commit
can be shure their data is on the platters.[1]

HTH,
Markus

[1] As long as the platters don't lie, but that's another subject.