Spotting planner errors (was Re: Query planner is using wrong index.)

Tom Lane wrote:
Brian Herlihy <btherl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Before I go, I have a question - From discussions on the Postgresql irc
channel, and from reading the TODO list on the website, I am under the
impression that there are no plans to allow optimizer hints, such as "use index
table_pkey".  Is this really true?

I personally don't think it's a good idea: the time spent in designing,
implementing, and maintaining a usable hint system would be significant,
and IMHO the effort is better spent on *fixing* the optimizer problems
than working around them.

Tom - does the planner/executor know it's got row estimates wrong? That is, if I'm not running an EXPLAIN ANALYSE is there a point at which we could log "planner estimate for X out by factor of Y"?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd