Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3

Juan, I think that AMD Opteron is more flex (OS and Hardware Upgrade) and then, the best solution.¹

What are you think about the Sun Fire X64 X4200 Server?

Take a look in this analysis and performance benchmark².

Regards,
MTada

¹ http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2727&p=2
² http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2727&p=7

Juan Casero (FL FLC) wrote:

I am evaluating this SunFire T2000 as a replacement for an Intel P3 1Ghz
postgresql server.  This intel server runs a retail reporting database
on postgresql 8.1.3.  I need to realize significant performance gains on
T2000 server to justify the expense.  So I need to tune the postgresql
server as much as I can for it.  Right now the operating system (solaris
10) sees each thread as a single cpu and only allows each thread 4.16%
of the available cpu resources for processing queries.  Since postgresql
is not multithreaded and since I cannot apparently break past the
operating system imposed limits on a single thread I can't fully realize
the performance benefits of the T2000 server unless and until I start
getting lots of people hitting the database server with requests.  This
doesn't happen right now.  It may happen later on as I write more
applications for the server but I am looking to see if the performance
benefit we can get from this server is worth the price tag right now.
That is why I am looking for ways to tweak postgres on it.

Thanks,
Juan